Monday, March 5, 2012

Door #1 or Door #2???

Well, I'm finally around to my second blog post. Life gets so crazy busy sometimes it's hard to catch a moment to just have a seat at the computer and let my mind wander. But, alas, I have finally found a few minutes to get this done. I took this series of pictures a few weeks ago, but have just now found the time to edit them & get them posted. These pictures were taken in Tularosa, NM--a town about 30 minutes from the base we live at. I'm sure years ago the town was pretty amazing, but sadly the wonderfully eclectic downtown has very few shops that remain open. However, the town still offers a mecca of photography backgrounds which is great for me & my fellow photographers around here. Every time I roam the streets looking for spots to take my clients I'm drawn to the many beautiful doorways. For those that have been to spots in New Mexico like Santa Fe or Taos you know what I'm talking about. New Mexico is hard to adjust to living in, but the beauty is not easily missed. The adobe style homes & buildings in northern New Mexico are not so easily found in the southern end of the state. But, Tularosa offers a nice little New Mexican oasis in the middle of this desolate desert area. 

Anyway, continuing on. As I was taking photos recently of a precious little 2-year-old I decided to start taking quick snapshots of all the doorways along the way so you could have a nice little window or should I say doorway into my photography life :). I thought it would be nice to have a little collection of photos on these beautiful doorways, but as I went along & later began my editing process I realized how much this study relates to all our lives. I learned quickly how powerful photos of such simple architecture can become--especially for those of us in the military. Life offers us so many doorways to walk through on our path that often we are overwhelmed by the choices. Do we go to this base or that? Should we try to change jobs or stick this one out? Do we re-enlist or get out & try to find an equal or better job in the civilian world? Do I stay home with the kids or work? What school do we send the kids to? I could go on & on & on, but I won't bore you. Choices like these have been at the forefront of our family's mind lately, so this photo study on doors came at just the right time. 


 So, for the first doorway... My first door was a simple door that sits on the side of one of my favorite photo shoot locations. At first I wasn't very fond of this photo, but as I edited it I really ended up liking it because I felt like I took it at the angle of someone walking up to it about to open the door & walk in. Sometimes in life we know exactly which door God wants us to choose. He leaves the choice for us, but we all know what it feels like to open the handle & walk-in exactly where we were supposed to. 



On the other hand, sometimes the door we choose may be locked & the windows barred. The sunlight & brightness are inviting, but that doesn't always mean it's the way to go. In the past few years my husband & I have approached many locked doors thinking they were the right choice for us. It was heartbreaking at times, but looking back we now know why. It is an immense struggle in the moment trying to understand why a door was locked when that path felt so right. There is a meaning in everything though, even the hard times, and eventually we can look back and understand the promise that our Father works all things according to his GOOD & wonderful plan. 



At other times in life we see others go through doors that we wish we could. But, sometimes there is just no way for us to even get in the door. We each have our own paths to walk that work according to His plan, but often it is easy to get caught up in the fantasy of living someone else's life. Wondering "what if" is only a stumbling block we all have to work to avoid. For now my path is to stay-at-home with my children & support my husband, even if it means living in this dry desert for longer than I had hoped. Watching friends move away from me & other distant friends getting the exact assignment they want is difficult, but I will walk this path by faith & one day I will enter that glorious doorway in the end & can only hope that I will be greeted with a "Well done". 


This door is quite possibly my favorite doorway I've ever encountered not only in New Mexico, but out of everywhere else I've ever been. It is so unique, so beautiful, and holds it's own special mysterious story. The contrast of colors makes it simply breathtaking. The oval windows & the reflections offered make it a fun prop as well. It's age reminds me of the doorways in our lives that many have gone through before us & many will go through after. We all have our own path in life, but often those paths cross, & often we are all meant to go through the same doorway at some point or another. Whether it's the amazingly happy doorway of marriage, or the painful doorway of losing a loved one--we all must walk through a similar doorway. Knowing that others have gone before me makes it that much easier when it's a painful doorway and it also assures me that once I have made it through I can then hold my hand out & help someone who must come after me. 
I have the unique privilege of being a military wife. At times it is difficult being away from friends & family, but I also am blessed to make so many new friends that are scattered around the world so I always have somewhere I can crash if I need to  :). I am able to make friends with so many women--some that are much older than me & some that are younger. Together we help each other through those tough doorways that all military wives face, but we also help each other through the doorways of life that all must face. It is the most amazing support system I have ever come across. I have made so many wonderful friends that have cried with me, prayed with me, & a few that aren't afraid to tell me when I'm going the wrong way. 


Speaking of going the wrong way... As with the doors we know we should go through, God also makes it very clear which ones we should NOT go through. There are times in life though when temptation gets the best of us & despite the dark surroundings & the clear warning posted right on the door, we go through anyway. Going through the wrong door may feel good at the moment, but it only leads to hurt & disappointment. 



However, thankfully through our glorious savior there is redemption! Even after choosing a wrong door God still shines His light of love on us & shows us the clear path He has designed for us. It still won't be an easy path--Jesus assured us of that--but, following His guidance assures us that He will be by our side every step of the way. 

What a great Lenten study this turned out to be as well--who knew?!?! I had such a great time exploring my own mind through this simple study of doorways. I had no idea the blessings that God would shine his light on simply photographing & writing about some doors. Sometimes sitting back & exploring the simple things in life is exactly where God is waiting to speak to you. He so often comes in the whisper after the storm, so make sure you are listening. I hope you are all enjoying this Lenten season & that you take a moment to look deep inside & find what God wants you to see or change as we walk to road to the blessed redemption of Christ.  



**All photos are property of MaggieLouPhotography. Please do NOT download, crop, or alter in any way. Thank you!** 




To see more of my work visit my website at www.MaggieLouPhotography.com or find me on FB at https://www.facebook.com/pages/MaggieLouPhotography/167245436690399




1 comment:

  1. Maggie, What a beautiful blog post!!! I loved it because I can totally relate. I'm so attracted to different doorways too. I'm always taking pics of them!! Hugs my friend!! So very glad God brought you into my life too!!

    'Chelle

    ReplyDelete